Monday, January 25, 2010

Abilene, KS

It's been awhile since my last road trip so I convinced Julie and Gerry to take a short road trip with me to Abilene. I'll be honest, the only reason I picked Abilene is because it is in "the book." We decided to start the day out with a visit to the Eisenhower Center. The last time I visited the Center I was in middle school, and I don't remember a dang thing. I'm sure it was not from lack of paying attention. I definitely enjoyed the museum and what it has to offer more as an adult. Abilene was the birthplace of our 34th president, Dwight D. Eisenhower. The center contains a museum, the presidential library, Ike's home, and his grave. The museum not only tells Eisenhower's story, but also the history of Abilene.
Check out this bicycle we found on display. How much fun does that look like?!?!

Julie and I chillin' at Ike's.

Next, we did what any other chocolate fan would do....made a stop at the Russell Stover Candies Outlet. I think Julie and I were slightly more excited than Gerry. Here we are sharing some love with the "I love chocolate" bear.

$60 later...

Our last stop of the day was for dinner at the Kirby House. This is not in the book, but it should be. I absolutely loved this place! The Kirby House is a Victorian home that was built in 1885 by banker, Thomas Kirby. The home was restored to resemble how it looked in 1885 and turned into a restaurant in 1987. The atmosphere is fun and inviting. And the food was amazing. I had chicken fried chicken, mashed potatoes and the best iced tea I've ever experienced.

Happy faces and full tummies after a wonderful meal.
Quote of the trip: "I guess you have to be really talented to weave hair into a wreath..."--Lindsay
Referring to human hair wreaths that were on display in the museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment