Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Pacific Coast Highway

Pacific Coast Highway, also known as Route 1, is described by the book as "America's dream drive." The last leg of our family vacation will take place in San Fransisco, so we decided to take PCH from LA to San Fran. Today, the route took us through Malibu, Santa Barbara, the Santa Ynez mountains, Big Sur, and the Monterey Peninsula. The drive is full of breath taking views of both the ocean and mountains. I convinced my family to stop in Santa Barbara at La Super-Rica Taqueria for lunch. It is in the book and is a street corner "shack" famous for their soft tacos. When we arrived for lunch, the line wrapped around the building. After waiting so long the day before at Pink's, I knew I'd hear some groaning from my family. But as soon as the food hit their mouths, the complaining stopped.

I ordered the #1 and #9, steak soft tacos and a cheese quesadilla. This place was so good, and so far, my favorite food spot the book has suggested.

After lunch, it was time to hit the road again. We made a few stops for some must see views and stopped for the night in Monterey. Here are a few pictures from the drive.



At our last hotel, my brother and I found a CD behind the dresser. So Jordan took the miscellaneous CD for us to listen to on our road trip. We had no idea what was on it and were pleasantly surprised that we actually liked most of the music. We were even more impressed with the amount of songs on the dang thing. It was the never ending disc of music with 88 tracks. Here is the picture to prove it...

So far, I'm loving California and I can't wait to see what it has in store for me this week!
Quote of the Day: "How are we doing on gas?"--Dad
I was in the driver's seat for the majority of our trip today. Our rental car has a fuel gauge that indicates how many miles you can drive before a fill up is necessary. But my dad has never owned a car with this feature. I'm not sure if it was a lack of trust or understanding of how the gauge works, but he felt it necessary to ask about the gas every 30 min. Fun times!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love Super-Rica Taqueria!! The menu can be daunting at first, especially when you don't realize how small the portions are, but it is absolutely delicious. I have seen CDs like that too, with up to 100 tracks! Crazy! Next time you are driving down the central coast you should check out some of the awesome hikes in Santa Barbara and take a walk up and down State Street, the downtown shopping district. I also suggest checking out the Sandman Inn (www.thesandmaninn.com). It's great for travelers on a budget and within walking distance of many of the great tourist attractions Santa Barbara has to offer!

    ReplyDelete